Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cupcakes Anyone?

When was the last time that you had a cupcake that you absolutely loved?  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of them or their icing.  That being said, there is only one place that I absolutely LOVE to go for cupcakes.  At this place even their icings are AMAZING.  These cupcakes are perfect in size - 3 bites and they are gone!  No mess what so ever.

Since trying these cupcakes, I was so inspired to make my own.  I have made this recipe - that I am about to share - a few times and have been changing it quite a bit each time.  They are not too sweet; they are fluffy; they have an amazing aroma and most of all taste great.  Instead of icing, I decided to make a simple whipping cream with a touch of Persia!  So, I think I finally nailed it this time!  But who am I to judge?  You can do that for me...

Persian Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup plain yogurt
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon rose water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degree F.  Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.  Line the cupcake pan with liners.  Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer on a medium speed until it’s thick and pale for about 10-15 minutes.  Mix in the oil, yogurt, rose water, vanilla extract and cardamom on a low speed until mixed well.  Add the flour in 3 batches and fold into the mixture with a spatula until well mixed.

Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake molds filling them only ¾ full.  Sprinkle the chopped pistachio on top.  Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes.  Check with the toothpick to be sure they are done.  Let cool for 15 minutes before taking them out the pan.  This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.

 Persian Cupcakes


Simple Whipping Cream Icing (optional)

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon crushed dried edible rose petals for garnish

Beat the heavy cream and the powdered sugar with an electric mixer until it forms a peak, but do not over beat.  Apply a spoonful to top of each cupcake & sprinkle with a pinch of crushed dried rose petals.

 Persian Cupcakes with "Icing"

These cupcakes are so great with a middle-eastern flare. Hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. 

Note:  I got my dried rose petals when I was in Iran.  I keep them in a tightly sealed zip lock bag and keep in a dark, cool, dry place (AKA my pantry).  It has kept well for several years.  You can purchase these either from your local middle-eastern stores or online.  From what I understand, making them can be a very long and tedious process.  This is what they look like:


Dried Rose Petals