Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer Just Got More Interesting with This Squash Salad

One thing that I really love about nicer weather is having a Farmer's Market about 2 blocks away from my house every Sunday.  It's something that I look forward to on the weekends.  I usually have a list prior to making a trip and of course end up buying more fresh and pickled ingredients.

There are a few stands that typically have different types of summer squashes/zucchinis that I don't usually see at our local super markets, but are very familiar to me.  They are smallish, stripe-ish, bellied up, lighter greenish and so forth!  These types of zucchinis remind me of back home where they were packed with flavors and much less water content.

On my last trip to Iran, a friend took me out for dinner at this beautiful restaurant which was in the garden of an old palace that was now turned into a gallery and a book shop.  I ordered a "zucchini salad" dish as a starter.  Not only it looked so pretty on a plate, but it also tasted amazing!  I remember taking every bite and trying to figure out all the flavors and the ingredients in this dish.  It was so refreshing and only left me wanting more...  Ever since, I have been wanting to try this dish and now that I have access to all these amazing types of summer squashes and zucchinis, I can finally try to execute this dish (from my memory nearly 11 months ago).

Fresh Summer Squash from Farmers' Market


Summer Squash Salad

4 small squashes – washed and thinly sliced
1/3 cup sliced almonds – lightly toasted
Few springs of fresh mint – washed and julienned
Few springs of fresh dill – washed and separated

Dressing:
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper

This recipe makes 2 large plates.

On a large plate lay out the sliced summer squashes.  Pour the dressing over it and sprinkle the mint and dill.  Add the toasted sliced almonds and serve.
 


Thinly slice the squashes either using the slicer side of the grater or using a very sharp knife...



 Summer Squash Salad

This dish definitely took me back home and it tastes exactly how I remembered it :)  I hope you enjoy it just as much.