Thursday, May 5, 2011

Soul Kitchen

If one can/does believe in another life, I think I might have been a Mexican at some point!  I just love Mexican food and can't get enough of it.  I find it very tasty, festive and happy.  Today of course is the perfect excuse to have some - happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.

The kitchen however is closed today!  I took the day off to recharge.  You didn't think I was a super mom, did you?  Well, one can try...  Thankfully, I have a sitter twice a week to help keep my sanity.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, but I just need to get away sometimes in order to be a good mommy.  On sitter days, I either run errands, organize, clean, cook or just get out of the house all together.  When I do get out however, I might end up in one of my favorite neighborhoods and just walk around.  I feel so recharged and happy. 

Don't worry though, we are still having home-made Mexican food.  I had some leftover braised short ribs in the freezer that I pulled out.  I tend to make this dish a lot and usually have it in a form of taco.  It is so easy to make and absolutely delicious.  I must however stay true to my blog and not post it!  I promise though to have a Persian version soon.  I did however make a Persian coleslaw which will go nicely with our tacos.  It is so easy and light.  I even bought myself a "SkinnyGirl Margarita" to see what the fuss is all about! 

Persian Coleslaw

1 small white cabbage shredded (about 8 cups)
1 cup red radish – julienned (cut into long thin strips)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves

Dressing
¾ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1/4 cup pumpkin seed - toasted

Put all the dry ingredients in a salad bowl and mix well.

Coleslaw

In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the salad and mix well.  Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.

 Persian Coleslaw

Cheers everyone!