Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Soup 'n' Wrap

Hi blog readers!  Can you believe it's August already?  Seriously... where does the time go?

Not only it's been hot in NYC, my kids are also both home now.  Summer camps are just too short and entertaining two toddlers is a big job.  These play dates on hot summer days can be exhausting and the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is stand in front of the stove and cook.  Yes, I still need to eat, but the fact is that I end up eating my kids' leftovers (just like most moms out there).  And believe it or not, I do get filled up on the leftovers!  Perhaps my kids are going through the same thing... not much appetite in the heat. 

On that note - and also because I missed blogging - I decided to prepare something that is very common to eat on hot summer days in Iran.  And the great thing about it is that most of the ingredients are the ones that we tend to have on-hand more often than not.  It is almost impossible to walk into a Persian's house and not find, yogurt, feta cheese and fresh herbs - no matter where they live. 

What I am about to make is so easy, delicious and light; it might just become your favorite summer lunch!

Herbed Cucumber-Yogurt Soup with Raisins and Walnuts

Ingredients:
2 cups Plain Yogurt
1 Persian Cucumber – washed and grated
½ teaspoon Dried mint
½ teaspoon Dried dill
1 ½ teaspoon Lemon juice
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
Pinch of fresh ground pepper
1/8 cup water

Garnish:
2 tablespoons Black raisins
2 tablespoons Chopped walnuts

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.  Chill in the fridge.  Right before serving, add the raisins and walnuts on top.

Feta Wrap

1 large multi grain wrap
Feta cheese
Crunchy sprouts
Alfa sprouts

Spread the feta cheese all over the large wrap.  Place the rest of the ingredients on top and roll the wrap.  Cut in half and serve.

 Soup 'n' Wrap

Typically, we use fresh herbs in the wraps.  Since my garden herbs are extremely dehydrated from the heat, I just used the sprouts that I had available, which turned out very nice I must say!

Note: I suggest adding the raisins and walnuts right before serving so that they will not get soggy.

These recipes will make a perfect lunch for two!  "Nooshe Jaan!"