Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mommies Are Afraid of...

... monsters?
I wish!  Monsters are the least of Mommies' worries.  Mommies are afraid of kids behaving badly; not eating (well); not sleeping well; kids who are afraid of rain, wind, storms, dark... and the list goes on.

Sorry, it's been a wild roller coaster ride here.  In the past month, we had a major thunderstorm which lightly flooded our basement and ruined some Christmas boxes and our wedding presents (yes, they are still in boxes because my house is taken over by two toddlers' toys - we have definitely grown out of our space).  We also had an earthquake and last but not least hurricane Irene decided to drop by on a weekend which flooded our basement badly!  I actually had to put rain boots on then my husband and I used shovels to put the water in our kids' beach bucket to take out.  BUT the ground was so saturated that the water kept creeping up from the cracks.  Yes, that was a fun weekend with Irene.  Luckily, that was the only damage we had plus tons of broken branches in our backyard.  The great thing was that our kids slept right through it - as we paced the house all night - and they only witnessed the strong winds afterwards.

You might remember that I mentioned my kids are not the best eaters.  Not sure how they became this way since my husband and I love and enjoy eating.  I envy parents with kids who will try anything.  My son's definition of trying is to take a tiny bite out of a vegetable and IMMEDIATELY trying to spit it out (God forbid a little goodness gets inside of  his body) and then saying, "see, I tried it and didn't like it mommy!"  Well, thanks for trying, sweetie. 

I figured with start of the new school year - now that he is in Pre-K and goes everyday and all day - I need to have more options for his lunch menu beside hot dog, chicken nugget and occasionally spaghetti.  So, I decided to pack him what we have as a family which can make my life so much easier since I won't be preparing food for individuals at different times.  We even tried explaining to him that he is now a big boy and is growing and so forth.  We are really trying hard to pitch a sale here re:vegetables.  This kid does not like veggies at all.  He only likes cucumbers and recently he decided to have broccoli florets with yogurt.  Hey, whatever it takes!  For a kid whose favorite color is green, he cannot be convinced that the greens are actually good for you.  It's been a hard sell as you can imagine.  At this point, I wish I could even get him to like sandwiches.  This would also make life easier in the morning as I'm trying to feed them breakfast and make lunch for his lunchbox.  The only sandwich that he eats is feta cheese inside of a small pocket pita with absolutely nothing else.  He likes this sandwich because it doesn't get messy; things won't fall out as he's trying to take a bite; and more importantly his hands won't get dirty.  I believe I have created a monster that I AM afraid of!

This should explain my absent.  All I know is that I missed not having a few minutes to myself to write freely.


Stay tuned...