Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Secret Is Out... Shhhh

Are you ready?  I'm about to share a family recipe with you!!!  If you like sweets and/or rice pudding, then keep reading...  It took me a while to get this recipe from my grandmother.  Not that she didn't want to share the recipe, NO!  It was just one of those recipes that "there was no recipe!"  Thanks to my younger aunt, who watched my grandmother make this recipe several times so she could finally jot down some measurements to keep for herself and also to pass on to me.  I have since made the recipe many times and have perfected the timing for it.  It is just how I remember when my grandmother used to make it.

Today is a perfect day to make this recipe.  It's windy and raining outside.  My older kid is in preschool and my younger one is napping.  This recipe is very easy to make; however, it needs some TLC while making it.  You can't just leave it on the stove - you have to watch it constantly and stir occasionally.  But it will be so worth your time.

I must also warn you... this recipe is not light and not at all figure friendly.  It is loaded with carbs and sugar, but oh so tasty.  But you only live once and I believe that one should satisfy his/her cravings in moderation.  This recipe is a Persian version of a rice pudding; therefore, I call it "Saffron Rice Pudding."  In Iran, it's called Shole Zard.  I've tried to half this recipe, but I am so worried it won't turn out as great.  The portion is large enough for a party, but the good thing is that it keeps well in the fridge and you can store for up to 5 days.  The bad thing about storing in the fridge (if you are like me) - of course - being that every couple of hours you may want to attack the bowls with a spoon to satisfy your sweet tooth!

Saffron Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
1 cup rice (not basmati & not brown)
2 cups sugar
7 cups water
½ teaspoon crushed cardamom soaked in 2 tablespoon hot water (about 3 cardamoms)
¼ teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon rose water

Garnish:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts

Soak the crushed cardamoms in 2 tablespoons of hot water and set aside.  Dissolve the saffron in 2 tablespoon of hot water as well and set aside..  Meanwhile, wash the rice in a large pot, changing the water several times and drain.  Combine water and rice and bring to a boil.  Then let it simmer on a low-medium heat for about 20 minutes until the rice becomes soft (skim off the foam as it rises on top).  Add sugar and continue simmering on low-medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile, sieve through the cardamom and only add the cardamom water.  Add rose water and saffron water as well.  Continue simmering on a low heat for 20 minutes – while stirring occasionally - until the mixture becomes thicker but has not lost all the liquid.

Pour the pudding in bowls and sprinkle the ground cinnamon and chopped pistachio nuts on top.  Chill in refrigerator and serve cold.

Saffron Rice Pudding

I hope you will enjoy this dessert as much as we do in my family.