Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Yogurt Is a Must

It's a lovely morning here in NYC before we hit another heat wave.  My son is in school and my younger one is napping which allows me to sit down and write peacefully...

You might have noticed another commonly used ingredient in Persian cooking: Yogurt.  Plain that is!  Persians love their yogurt and always have it in their fridge.  They have yogurt with just about anything.  They have it as a meal, as a condiment, as a side dish, in a soup, salad dressing, or even dessert!  Plain white rice and yogurt is an all-time favorite in our household.  I have a cousin who eats his spaghetti with plain yogurt and I must say it's not bad at all.  I have tried it myself and even give it to my kids.  I got my kids used to eating plain yogurt very early on and there's not a day that I won't send my son to school without a yogurt in his lunchbox.  Yogurt is so good for you... I am no doctor, but I'm sure you know the benefits of it.


On that note - you guessed right - I'll be telling you about yet another yogurt dish that is very common in my culture.  Again, this dish will be a light great lunch on warm days or you can serve it as an appetizer (as my mother used to do) with potato chips.  You will love it! 

Spinach Yogurt

Ingredients:
1-10 oz frozen chopped spinach (or fresh if you like)
½ teaspoon vegetable oil
1-32 oz tub of plain yogurt
½ teaspoon of sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

Unpack the frozen spinach and place in a small pan on low heat until it’s completely thawed out and all the water is evaporated.  Add the oil and lightly sauté on low heat for about 7 minutes.  Set aside in a bowl until it is cool.  Then add yogurt, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice.  Mix well, chill in fridge and serve cold.

 Spinach Yogurt

Note: In Farsi yogurt means "Maast" or "Must."