Monday, June 6, 2011

Excuse Me While I Was in a Food Coma!

HELLO!  In case you were wondering where I have been, I was in a food coma for about a few days!  It all started as an innocent Sunday afternoon in my hood, walking around and through one of the main street fairs, which by the way are my absolute favorite things to do in NYC.  I love munching on different food and getting to know my local restaurants without having to dine - just grab and go.  It started out with ordering 2 empanadas, then washed it down with some lemonade.  But the corn on the cob looked so delicious too and reminded me of the street food in Tehran.  How could I resist the magnificent lobster roll - so refreshing after the empanadas.  Few blocks away, we spotted gigantic smokers and of course we had to find out what was being smoked.  Have I mentioned that my husband loves to smoke meat/ribs and eat them?  Well, I just did!  Naturally we were drawn to that corner... We ordered one pulled pork sandwich AND IT WAS THE BEST PULLED PORK THAT WE HAD EVER HAD.  We were seriously debating our second... My husband started chatting with the guy who was smoking; the guy was a professional who used to own restaurants and now he just caters for parties.  After one funnel cake and eating my son's leftover chocolate ice cream, we decided to go home.

My husband was so inspired that as soon as we got home, he got online and started searching and researching smokers!  Before I knew it - 2 days later - there was a delivery of a giant smoker to my front door!!!  What a h---?   When I order shoes, they don't arrive at my front door that quickly!  It was impossible to move this box; therefore, it was parked in my front hallway for 3 days.  After the third day, my husband decided to assemble this monster.  I must say though it was a pretty cute monster and I couldn't wait to see what it was capable of.  Naturally we wanted to test it out.  The following weekend we decided to smoke a pork shoulder and why not buy a couple of spare ribs and baby back ribs.... we ended up with 10-12 lbs of meat.  Luckily, one of my Mommy friends (from my son's school) with her family were able to join us at the last minute.  Hubby started smoking at 6am and by 4pm, he wasn't sure if the pork shoulder was ready yet!  We decided to eat anyways... I must tell you though, both the ribs and the pork were divine.  We however ended up with SO much leftover that from Sunday to Wednesday all we ate was pulled pork.  We literally pigged out on pork; therefore, the long story for explaining the food coma situation

I know it's totally unrelated to my Persian food blog, but it explains my lack of cooking and my lack of blogging.  Stay tuned though... I'll be posting some Persian cooking this week.

Have a wonderful evening.