Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Heatwave and Watermelon Salad

Couldn't be happier that my kids started summer camp this week.  What a relief!  So, for the past three weeks with school year coming to an end, I was busy with my kids' end of school year events, plays, picnics,"graduations," and even days off here and there.  Everyone's schedule was off, including me.  I missed my Pilates workout for 3 weeks in a row and I wasn't able to blog as much as I would've liked.  My kids had a week off last week before starting their summer camps this week.  So, I was the sole entertainer/tour guide for a whole week.  I must tell you that it's no easy task to go around town on public transportation with 2 toddlers and different personalities.  Not to mention the bathroom trips with my newly potty-trained little girl...  My son who is the older one - and almost never had any tantrums growing up - suddenly had the most tantrums compared to my daughter who is the younger one (and always has tantrums).  It truly was a treat...  I got a sense of what it would be like to have a teenager around the house.  So you can imagine how much happier I am sending them off to a place where other people get to entertain them for a few hours and I trust that they will be much happier spending their days with other kids.

Yes, I am no super mom - just a regular mom.

With the heatwave slowly making its way to north east, I have already started lecturing my kids about drinking lots of water and staying out of the sun.  I don't know about you, but I tend to lose my appetite on hot days and start indulging on cool treats: ice cream, sorbet, Popsicle and so forth.  However, my favorite thing to have on a hot summer day is watermelon!  I just can't get enough of it.  Frankly, I think it is the best summer snack or even a meal.  It has a high water content, yet sweet enough to get you going.  Not to mention that it cools you off too.

Some fun facts about watermelon: Did you know that watermelon is a good source of vitamin C?  Well, it's true.  Watermelon rinds are also edible and contain many hidden nutrients but most people avoid eating them due to their unappealing flavor.  I remember one of my aunts used to salt the rinds and eat them - she claimed they tasted very good.  Watermelon is also diuretic which means it elevates the rate of urination.  So, please avoid eating watermelon on long car rides - just a little advice!

One of the hot summer day meals in my household growing up was feta cheese on flat bread, served with watermelon and fresh herbs.  Still, to this day, you might meet a Persian who suggests this dish when it's hot outside.  I personally never liked the idea of mixing sweet and savory and only slowly trying to have an open mind about this mixture!  I just thought that you don't mix your salty with your sweet.  First, you have your meal, then indulge in something sweet afterwards.  Chocolate covered peanuts make no sense to me, nor do chocolate covered pretzels and so forth.  But that's just me.  I am starting to actually see more trends of mixing sweet and salty.  Suddenly caramel with sea salt is all the rage.  Granted, it tastes good and it's an interesting combination, but c'mom it's not all that exciting!

So, the recipe for today is inspired from the mentioned meal above with my little twist.  It's sweet and savory all in one plate!

Watermelon Salad

Watermelon – cut into small ½” thick triangle wedges
1/3 cup feta cheese – diced into small cubes
1/4 cup toasted pistachio nuts – shelled
1 tablespoon fresh mint – washed and julienned
1 teaspoon mint syrup

Flat bread or Lavash bread (optional for the carb lovers)

Please note: the measurements are not critical for this recipe.

On a large plate arrange your watermelon slices.  Add the feta, mint and toasted pistachio nuts.  Drizzle the mint syrup over them.  Serve immediately with or without bread.

 Watermelon Salad

Happy 1st day of summer :)